A whole new batch of books I've read?!
Sep. 23rd, 2026 03:13 pmRe-reads. HUH
* Rule of Three by Kelly Jamison (Rule of Three #1, M/M/F Contemporary Romance) - After dating for a year, Chris and Kassidy have moved into a new condo in Chicago. Chris is super excited cuz Dag, his BFF circa their college days, is gonna visit v. soon. After a bad first impression, Dag and Kassidy are confused at how attracted to each other they feel. Even "weirder" is that Chris has no problem with this and even suggests having a threesome...
It's truly LOLARIOUS that later in the day AFTER I posted that I didn't think I'd reread anything else, my library psst psst at me with "hey, we've got this book you might want to borrow? :D?" And I said, "sure, let me go revisit a novel I read a whole decade ago, why not?"
In some ways, I did enjoyed the read: this is a v. emotions-heavy M/M/F with a robust selection of sex scenes. OTOH, this book (first published in 2012) had Kassidy realizing her own "Not Like Other Girls" attitude and working to overcome it. Plus Chris's own internazlied biphobia is not addressed to the extent it should've. Oh, and the other guy's name actually being Dag. Lorde, I'd totally forgotten abt that. Oh, and some of the sex scenes were ridic (would someone who had gotten DP'd really be up for it the V. NEXT MORNING? IHNI.)
Opted to, once again, skip the rest of the series. The second book is an angsfest (over something ridiculous) while the third book deals with issues of fertility and pregnancy (including all of the dangers of it). In any case, I gave this book a 3 out of 5. Again. π
I DNF'd
NONE! Though I could've bounced from either of the books I mention in the next section, really. *Pouts*
Had an awesome time at first (but it all went downhill from there).
* It Had to Be Him by Adib Khorram (Love on the Vine #2, M/M Contemporary Romance) - After getting dumped by his boyfriend, Ramin decides to spend two months in Italy. Sometime in the first couple of days, he runs into Noah, the guy he'd had a crush on all the way in high school...
Another well-written and extremely readable (I finished it in a day) book by this author. Lots of gorgeous descriptions of different cities in Italy (and the foood!!!!) The MCs' intimate scenes had an extra yummy layer of (extremely mild) kink (D/s, humiliation/degradation, roleplay) that I gave ππΎ to.
OTOH, I did have some issues with this novel
1. There was NO conflict in the ENTIRE story!
For this, I'm gonna give a few vague examples of scenes from the book
* Noah is on vacay, Ramin is working remotely (for a marketing firm.) There's only one (1) v. brief scene of Ramin "spending a few hours on his laptop for work". He never mentions any projects, assignments, deadlines or work communications.
What's more, Ramin is also able to leave on day trips (and random overnight ones too!) w/o worrying abt his job. Which is WEIRD cuz the story happens across 2 weeks and change, but whatevs! It would've worked much better had he been on vacay as well, IJS.
* The MCs plus two other ppl travel to a city that's a few hours away. Everyone's left stranded in that town due to really bad weather. BUT that's no problem! Ramin had already reserved a room in a nearby hotel (he'd planned to stay overnight) and he's able to find an additional room for the other ppl. *Hands*
* A secondary character has a MEDICAL EMERGENCY that results in actual surgery. The character is seen walking around like everything's fine something like THREE WHOLE DAYS LATER. O__o?
And so forth. Basically, any time a reader would think "oh, no, here comes the drama!", the book would sidestep the issue in an odd way. This even happened for the (usually) Inevitable Yet Temporary Break-Up scene!
2. Those damn flashbacks!
Every chapter had 1 or 2 scenes of the characters during their senior year in high school. I wish the author hadn't given into the compare and contrast between the MCs at 18 y.o. and them 20 yrs later.
Those flashbacks were hella disruptive and super unnecessary.
3. MCs moved (emotionally) FAST!
Sure, they'd been casual-ish high school friends, so they sort of "knew" each other. However, the last third of the story reaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaally pushed things in the believability scale after the book itself points out that the story happens across 14 or so days.
3.5 I also missed the rest of Ramin's friends. Having them Facetime each other every so often wasn't enough for me.
In the end, I was v. :| abt the story, so I gave it a 2 out of 5.
* Tender Roots by Alix Marren (Book 1 of the Uprooted Series, F/F Contemporary Romance) - Following a v. nasty meltdown at work, Adelaide's BFF books her a weeklong stay at Heartwood Retreat so she can recover. While there, Adelaide meets Thea (who works as a landscaper of sorts) and a connection happens. But the clock is ticking and Adelaide will be leaving by week's end . . .
So, this book has good writing and likable characters. It's also a hella quick read (I finished it in an afternoon!)
HoweverI did have three issues with this novel. A major one and two smaller-yet-equally annoying ones.
1. This book has NO ANGST.
Once again, the lack of conflict ended up being a huge disservice to the actual!plot.
The first 60% of the story is abt Adelaide's week at the wellness retreat. Like the rest of the book, the story is told from both Adelaide and Thea's POVs.
So I was ready for things to get a bit bumpy in the last 40%, i.e. when Adelaide returns to her regular life . . . but, once again, the story eased her path. And then we get a HEA. Hooray?
This story NEEDED friction! Because IF there are 0 stakes, THEN there's no emotional payoff. BTW, the overall dullness extended to Thea and Adelaide's sex scenes. They were OK, but again, lacked actual/real passion.
2. The so-called "age gap"
Adelaide brings up how she's 41 while Thea's 36 and OMG, SHE'S NEVER BEEN WITH SOMEONE YOUNGER!. This is something that comes up at least 3 times in the story. A few side characters do tell her to get a grip since FIVE YEARS isn't the vast age gap Adelaide thinks it is.
3. Speeding into falling in LURVE
Though I do appreciate that Thea and Adelaide acknowledge they're moving FAST, they're also super into the idea of sharing a life together, etc. ASAP.
Readers are told that the MCs have a lot of phone calls and deep conversations during the months they're apart AND that they discuss things once they're together for realsies. But none of this is shown on the page. Which clashes with the book pushing the idea of Thea/Adelaide having some grand romance. IJS
I gave this book a 2 out of 5 and that was mostly for the writing.
It was . . . fine?
NONE. This was one batch of novels I had strong opinions abt (positive and negative), I guess.
Good vibes all around
* Not That Complicated by Isabel Murray (Not That #1, M/M Romcon with a dash of a murder mystery) - A year has passed since Ray broke up with his cheating boyfriend. He's lonely, but NOT DESPERATE (he truly is not!) enough to consider having something-something with Adam (the man who Ray's boyfriend had cheated Ray with). But then, someone finds a dead body in Ray's home . . .
Someone had recced the 3rd book in the series, and I figured they would be interconnected via the mystery. So I decided to start with this one. Had a blast from start to finish.
This novel worked on EVERY level: writing, worldbuidling, and plot. I liked all of the characters, the humor (which was juuuuuust at the edge of (bad) secondhand embarrassing at times), the romance (so yummy and banter-heavy!), and the MCs sex scenes (which were HOT AF via mild D/s featuring a younger!Dom even!). Also really appreciated that the blurb made it super clear to not focus on the mystery too much (the blurb was right!)
The mystery is hella creepy and, IMO, quite gruesome. So, yays?
It's so odd cuz I was able to shrug off things that would usually bother me. Frex, Adam being a v. mature 23-y.o. who is super gaga for 32-y.o. Ray. My reaction: "all right!: XD
πThis book earned a FULL FIVE STARS OUT OF FIVE from me.π
* Not That Impossible by Isabel Murray (Not That#2, M/M Rom-Com with a splash of mystery) - Jasper is a personal trainer AND a journalist (well, the latter is kinda up in the air). He's also been deliriously (and obsessively) IN LURVE with Detective Chief Inspector Liam Nash. It's been six years (give or take) and now Jasper discovers that Liam is NOT (as Jasper thought) straight nor is he married anymore. Does Jasper have a chance with the surly man of his dreams OR will he have no other choice but to continue writing RPF AUs abt Liam?
The first 15% of this novel was proving to be a v. interesting reading experience. The writing quality hadn't dipped and I'd already met the MCs, so why wasn't I enjoying the story? I stopped reading and began to compare what I'd read so far in this book vs. my YAYS for the first novel.
Realized two things.
1. The first book is a screwball comedy. Lots of witty banter, plenty of zany goings on, and a protag whose POV can be rather OTT). Meanwhile, this book is a sex comedy. More specifically the Marilyn Monroe kind (Seven Year Itch, How to Marry a Millionaire, etc.) Not in a 1:1 way, but when it came to the mood: protag is tremendously good-looking/desirable, the LI is (v. stubbornly) trying to fight off the attraction; there are v. obvious double entendres in the dialogue that leans toward the sexual; there's also (despite all the lust happening) an undercurrent of sweetness.
2. Jasper is a himbo AND a freak (FTR, I'm saying both in a non-derrogatory way). Interestingly enough, Liam is ALSO a freak. And his story arc is all abt acknowledging who he is (in terms of being a freak, I mean) and fully bonding with Jasper. Which explains why he's so hot-and-cold with Jasper. Liam acts like a dick (in some way he does straddle the line of jackassery, NGL), but this feels like the first time someone has not only seen him for the weirdo he is, but has also loved him because of it. This is a 100% FREAK4FREAK ROMANCE.
I know the blurb makes it looks v. grumpy/sunshine. It kinda is . . . on a superficial level. Cuz, in reality, this is a Like Attracts Like couple. They're both weirdos and hella fascinated, hot for, AND in actual luuuuuuuurve with each other. Their sex scenes were greatness too (mild humiliation kink, D/s, and some body worship), heheh.
So, once those two thoughts popped up in my mind, everything the characters did made complete sense and I was able to thoroughly enjoy this novel. Yes, even Jasper's tremendously bad RPF fanfic.
As for criticisms, I'm on the fence on retreading the events of the 1st novel. Though, since now everything's from Jasper's POV, there are enough changes (such as what a goof Adam is, Liam's ferociousness not being all of his personality, and Adam's extreme guardedness.). Speaking of, if the mystery was a secondary plot in the first book, in Jasper's story the murder mystery was pushed back even further.
Also, even though it's a lengthier novel, I do wish we'd known a bit more abt Liam's romantic history. Why did he get divorced, frex, is something I'm curious abt.
Finally, the humor isn't as front-and-center as it was in Book 1, but I did LOL'd a few times. I ended up giving this book a 4 out of 5.
Current fic tally
Have picked up 151 fics, DNF'd 71. Still reading some longer fics. Have not had any issues. NB: There haven't been any changes since my last book post. I'm still reading them longer fics. *Hands*
Some thoughts
Manged to read the last of the KU list (up to Tender Roots, I bought the two Not That novels). And I feel this was the right time to close the KU window until next summer. There's a certain . . . sameiness in what gets recommended that made me go π πΎββοΈ
On top of that, I truly don't know what's going on, but several of the contemporary romances I read had the characters go from thinking each other is hot to FULL BLOWN 'I LOOOOOOOVE YOU's in 2 weeks or less. Not to mention the lack of DRAMARAMA.
I guess this works for ppl who want ZERO angst, but there was nothing balancing out all the fluff is what I'm trying to say. Not to mention an overall flattening of what could've been really interesting novels. This double trend gets a ππΎππΎππΎ from me!
The WORST part is that there really isn't any way to avoid these kinds of novels (unless it's clearly labeled--which I do appreciate tons!) No one can pick up from a book sample that the story will be all comfort/no hurt. >:(
Last time
Right now, I've got the 2nd M/M book by Khorram, a scary (?) F/F novel, a mature F/F romance, the Singh mystery, and two historical romances. So enough to keep my mood reading on track. :P
Finished the Khorram and "mature" F/F romances (that was Tender Roots). Returned the scary F/F novel cuz the writing was getting on my nerves 3 pages in (LOL) and one of the historical romances (I suddenly wasn't in the mood for it.) Everything else got renewed or not deleted from my reading apps.
Up next
Have already begun the third book in the Not That series. DON'T JUDGE ME! π I had considered waiting to start it (cuz I've legit picked up on some literary leimotifs), but I'm also hella curious abt the pairing. Especially cuz one of the MCs has only showed up 2 scenes so far (one in book 1, the other one in the second novel) while the other MC was introduced in the 2nd book. Most reviews have been hella mixed so I'm going into this book with an open mind. (Part of it is also to see if my "this book is like XYZ rom-com subgenre" theory will hold or not.)
Still have the Singh book, a M/genderqueer historical romance, also an Ilona Andrews, and a comic book. So Juuust abt enough to keep me reading. I'm planning to read some queer horror next month, so there's that.
* Rule of Three by Kelly Jamison (Rule of Three #1, M/M/F Contemporary Romance) - After dating for a year, Chris and Kassidy have moved into a new condo in Chicago. Chris is super excited cuz Dag, his BFF circa their college days, is gonna visit v. soon. After a bad first impression, Dag and Kassidy are confused at how attracted to each other they feel. Even "weirder" is that Chris has no problem with this and even suggests having a threesome...
It's truly LOLARIOUS that later in the day AFTER I posted that I didn't think I'd reread anything else, my library psst psst at me with "hey, we've got this book you might want to borrow? :D?" And I said, "sure, let me go revisit a novel I read a whole decade ago, why not?"
In some ways, I did enjoyed the read: this is a v. emotions-heavy M/M/F with a robust selection of sex scenes. OTOH, this book (first published in 2012) had Kassidy realizing her own "Not Like Other Girls" attitude and working to overcome it. Plus Chris's own internazlied biphobia is not addressed to the extent it should've. Oh, and the other guy's name actually being Dag. Lorde, I'd totally forgotten abt that. Oh, and some of the sex scenes were ridic (would someone who had gotten DP'd really be up for it the V. NEXT MORNING? IHNI.)
Opted to, once again, skip the rest of the series. The second book is an angsfest (over something ridiculous) while the third book deals with issues of fertility and pregnancy (including all of the dangers of it). In any case, I gave this book a 3 out of 5. Again. π
I DNF'd
NONE! Though I could've bounced from either of the books I mention in the next section, really. *Pouts*
Had an awesome time at first (but it all went downhill from there).
* It Had to Be Him by Adib Khorram (Love on the Vine #2, M/M Contemporary Romance) - After getting dumped by his boyfriend, Ramin decides to spend two months in Italy. Sometime in the first couple of days, he runs into Noah, the guy he'd had a crush on all the way in high school...
Another well-written and extremely readable (I finished it in a day) book by this author. Lots of gorgeous descriptions of different cities in Italy (and the foood!!!!) The MCs' intimate scenes had an extra yummy layer of (extremely mild) kink (D/s, humiliation/degradation, roleplay) that I gave ππΎ to.
OTOH, I did have some issues with this novel
1. There was NO conflict in the ENTIRE story!
For this, I'm gonna give a few vague examples of scenes from the book
* Noah is on vacay, Ramin is working remotely (for a marketing firm.) There's only one (1) v. brief scene of Ramin "spending a few hours on his laptop for work". He never mentions any projects, assignments, deadlines or work communications.
What's more, Ramin is also able to leave on day trips (and random overnight ones too!) w/o worrying abt his job. Which is WEIRD cuz the story happens across 2 weeks and change, but whatevs! It would've worked much better had he been on vacay as well, IJS.
* The MCs plus two other ppl travel to a city that's a few hours away. Everyone's left stranded in that town due to really bad weather. BUT that's no problem! Ramin had already reserved a room in a nearby hotel (he'd planned to stay overnight) and he's able to find an additional room for the other ppl. *Hands*
* A secondary character has a MEDICAL EMERGENCY that results in actual surgery. The character is seen walking around like everything's fine something like THREE WHOLE DAYS LATER. O__o?
And so forth. Basically, any time a reader would think "oh, no, here comes the drama!", the book would sidestep the issue in an odd way. This even happened for the (usually) Inevitable Yet Temporary Break-Up scene!
2. Those damn flashbacks!
Every chapter had 1 or 2 scenes of the characters during their senior year in high school. I wish the author hadn't given into the compare and contrast between the MCs at 18 y.o. and them 20 yrs later.
Those flashbacks were hella disruptive and super unnecessary.
3. MCs moved (emotionally) FAST!
Sure, they'd been casual-ish high school friends, so they sort of "knew" each other. However, the last third of the story reaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaally pushed things in the believability scale after the book itself points out that the story happens across 14 or so days.
3.5 I also missed the rest of Ramin's friends. Having them Facetime each other every so often wasn't enough for me.
In the end, I was v. :| abt the story, so I gave it a 2 out of 5.
* Tender Roots by Alix Marren (Book 1 of the Uprooted Series, F/F Contemporary Romance) - Following a v. nasty meltdown at work, Adelaide's BFF books her a weeklong stay at Heartwood Retreat so she can recover. While there, Adelaide meets Thea (who works as a landscaper of sorts) and a connection happens. But the clock is ticking and Adelaide will be leaving by week's end . . .
So, this book has good writing and likable characters. It's also a hella quick read (I finished it in an afternoon!)
HoweverI did have three issues with this novel. A major one and two smaller-yet-equally annoying ones.
1. This book has NO ANGST.
Once again, the lack of conflict ended up being a huge disservice to the actual!plot.
The first 60% of the story is abt Adelaide's week at the wellness retreat. Like the rest of the book, the story is told from both Adelaide and Thea's POVs.
So I was ready for things to get a bit bumpy in the last 40%, i.e. when Adelaide returns to her regular life . . . but, once again, the story eased her path. And then we get a HEA. Hooray?
This story NEEDED friction! Because IF there are 0 stakes, THEN there's no emotional payoff. BTW, the overall dullness extended to Thea and Adelaide's sex scenes. They were OK, but again, lacked actual/real passion.
2. The so-called "age gap"
Adelaide brings up how she's 41 while Thea's 36 and OMG, SHE'S NEVER BEEN WITH SOMEONE YOUNGER!. This is something that comes up at least 3 times in the story. A few side characters do tell her to get a grip since FIVE YEARS isn't the vast age gap Adelaide thinks it is.
3. Speeding into falling in LURVE
Though I do appreciate that Thea and Adelaide acknowledge they're moving FAST, they're also super into the idea of sharing a life together, etc. ASAP.
Readers are told that the MCs have a lot of phone calls and deep conversations during the months they're apart AND that they discuss things once they're together for realsies. But none of this is shown on the page. Which clashes with the book pushing the idea of Thea/Adelaide having some grand romance. IJS
I gave this book a 2 out of 5 and that was mostly for the writing.
It was . . . fine?
NONE. This was one batch of novels I had strong opinions abt (positive and negative), I guess.
Good vibes all around
* Not That Complicated by Isabel Murray (Not That #1, M/M Romcon with a dash of a murder mystery) - A year has passed since Ray broke up with his cheating boyfriend. He's lonely, but NOT DESPERATE (he truly is not!) enough to consider having something-something with Adam (the man who Ray's boyfriend had cheated Ray with). But then, someone finds a dead body in Ray's home . . .
Someone had recced the 3rd book in the series, and I figured they would be interconnected via the mystery. So I decided to start with this one. Had a blast from start to finish.
This novel worked on EVERY level: writing, worldbuidling, and plot. I liked all of the characters, the humor (which was juuuuuust at the edge of (bad) secondhand embarrassing at times), the romance (so yummy and banter-heavy!), and the MCs sex scenes (which were HOT AF via mild D/s featuring a younger!Dom even!). Also really appreciated that the blurb made it super clear to not focus on the mystery too much (the blurb was right!)
The mystery is hella creepy and, IMO, quite gruesome. So, yays?
It's so odd cuz I was able to shrug off things that would usually bother me. Frex, Adam being a v. mature 23-y.o. who is super gaga for 32-y.o. Ray. My reaction: "all right!: XD
πThis book earned a FULL FIVE STARS OUT OF FIVE from me.π
* Not That Impossible by Isabel Murray (Not That#2, M/M Rom-Com with a splash of mystery) - Jasper is a personal trainer AND a journalist (well, the latter is kinda up in the air). He's also been deliriously (and obsessively) IN LURVE with Detective Chief Inspector Liam Nash. It's been six years (give or take) and now Jasper discovers that Liam is NOT (as Jasper thought) straight nor is he married anymore. Does Jasper have a chance with the surly man of his dreams OR will he have no other choice but to continue writing RPF AUs abt Liam?
The first 15% of this novel was proving to be a v. interesting reading experience. The writing quality hadn't dipped and I'd already met the MCs, so why wasn't I enjoying the story? I stopped reading and began to compare what I'd read so far in this book vs. my YAYS for the first novel.
Realized two things.
1. The first book is a screwball comedy. Lots of witty banter, plenty of zany goings on, and a protag whose POV can be rather OTT). Meanwhile, this book is a sex comedy. More specifically the Marilyn Monroe kind (Seven Year Itch, How to Marry a Millionaire, etc.) Not in a 1:1 way, but when it came to the mood: protag is tremendously good-looking/desirable, the LI is (v. stubbornly) trying to fight off the attraction; there are v. obvious double entendres in the dialogue that leans toward the sexual; there's also (despite all the lust happening) an undercurrent of sweetness.
2. Jasper is a himbo AND a freak (FTR, I'm saying both in a non-derrogatory way). Interestingly enough, Liam is ALSO a freak. And his story arc is all abt acknowledging who he is (in terms of being a freak, I mean) and fully bonding with Jasper. Which explains why he's so hot-and-cold with Jasper. Liam acts like a dick (in some way he does straddle the line of jackassery, NGL), but this feels like the first time someone has not only seen him for the weirdo he is, but has also loved him because of it. This is a 100% FREAK4FREAK ROMANCE.
I know the blurb makes it looks v. grumpy/sunshine. It kinda is . . . on a superficial level. Cuz, in reality, this is a Like Attracts Like couple. They're both weirdos and hella fascinated, hot for, AND in actual luuuuuuuurve with each other. Their sex scenes were greatness too (mild humiliation kink, D/s, and some body worship), heheh.
So, once those two thoughts popped up in my mind, everything the characters did made complete sense and I was able to thoroughly enjoy this novel. Yes, even Jasper's tremendously bad RPF fanfic.
As for criticisms, I'm on the fence on retreading the events of the 1st novel. Though, since now everything's from Jasper's POV, there are enough changes (such as what a goof Adam is, Liam's ferociousness not being all of his personality, and Adam's extreme guardedness.). Speaking of, if the mystery was a secondary plot in the first book, in Jasper's story the murder mystery was pushed back even further.
Also, even though it's a lengthier novel, I do wish we'd known a bit more abt Liam's romantic history. Why did he get divorced, frex, is something I'm curious abt.
Finally, the humor isn't as front-and-center as it was in Book 1, but I did LOL'd a few times. I ended up giving this book a 4 out of 5.
Current fic tally
Have picked up 151 fics, DNF'd 71. Still reading some longer fics. Have not had any issues. NB: There haven't been any changes since my last book post. I'm still reading them longer fics. *Hands*
Some thoughts
Manged to read the last of the KU list (up to Tender Roots, I bought the two Not That novels). And I feel this was the right time to close the KU window until next summer. There's a certain . . . sameiness in what gets recommended that made me go π πΎββοΈ
On top of that, I truly don't know what's going on, but several of the contemporary romances I read had the characters go from thinking each other is hot to FULL BLOWN 'I LOOOOOOOVE YOU's in 2 weeks or less. Not to mention the lack of DRAMARAMA.
I guess this works for ppl who want ZERO angst, but there was nothing balancing out all the fluff is what I'm trying to say. Not to mention an overall flattening of what could've been really interesting novels. This double trend gets a ππΎππΎππΎ from me!
The WORST part is that there really isn't any way to avoid these kinds of novels (unless it's clearly labeled--which I do appreciate tons!) No one can pick up from a book sample that the story will be all comfort/no hurt. >:(
Last time
Right now, I've got the 2nd M/M book by Khorram, a scary (?) F/F novel, a mature F/F romance, the Singh mystery, and two historical romances. So enough to keep my mood reading on track. :P
Finished the Khorram and "mature" F/F romances (that was Tender Roots). Returned the scary F/F novel cuz the writing was getting on my nerves 3 pages in (LOL) and one of the historical romances (I suddenly wasn't in the mood for it.) Everything else got renewed or not deleted from my reading apps.
Up next
Have already begun the third book in the Not That series. DON'T JUDGE ME! π I had considered waiting to start it (cuz I've legit picked up on some literary leimotifs), but I'm also hella curious abt the pairing. Especially cuz one of the MCs has only showed up 2 scenes so far (one in book 1, the other one in the second novel) while the other MC was introduced in the 2nd book. Most reviews have been hella mixed so I'm going into this book with an open mind. (Part of it is also to see if my "this book is like XYZ rom-com subgenre" theory will hold or not.)
Still have the Singh book, a M/genderqueer historical romance, also an Ilona Andrews, and a comic book. So Juuust abt enough to keep me reading. I'm planning to read some queer horror next month, so there's that.